Saturday, December 29, 2007

Radio Room Miki






Miki and I took a walk yesterday morning without much of an "end-point" in mind. 1 hour later we found ourselves at the fire hall. We let ourselves in, nobody was around, had a look at all the fire trucks and even found time to sit in the jumpseat of Engine 1.

We hung out for about 15 minutes, looking at the huge truck tires, all the firefighting gear and helmets. It was time to leave and I had just finished re-arming the door security system and was putting my keys in my pocket when my screeching bloody loud pager went off!

"Cedar fire hall, report of a medical aid on 2858 Furn Drive, cross street is Cedar Road, for 'shortness of breath'".

I stood there for half a second, staring at the pager and then to Miki, pager, Miki... Hmmm...I opened the door, de-activated the alarm and proceeded to the "radio room" pushing Miki in her stroller. I sat down, plopped Miki on my knee and took the call. It was a few more minutes before 2 other members showed up for the actual response. Miki then got to see the fireman jump into their 'turnout gear' and fly out of the truck bay, lights on the rescue truck flashing and sirens screaming. Back in the radio room I simply gave her a pen and some paper and let her doodle while I operated the radio and filled out the on-going medical aid report. The deputy fire chief then showed up, stopped dead in his tracks once he stepped into the radio room and saw there were two radio operators and just chuckled.

When our fire/rescue truck returned to the hall - about 25 minutes later - Miki clapped. No kidding.

Needless to say, she had plenty she wanted to share with Mama once we got home and the return walk, 20 minutes without toddlers, took 45 minutes. So excited from her first job "on scene" at the fire hall, Miki fought off sleep long enough to see the horses in the fields just down the road from us. I got one final photo of her ambling along this road before she promptly fell asleep in the stroller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TJ, Miki is proud of her Fire Dept, huh? Can't believe she clapped. How cute!
Ericka, save me a piece of apple studel- too late, right? Looks delicious.
I love this blog- you are doing a great job. L, Mom