Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kamakura






Once, long long ago (AD 1192-1333 to be exact), Kamakura was the capital of Japan. A small (compared alongside Tokyo & Kyoto), seaside town about 1 hour from Tokyo. It's primarily significant to foreign visitors and Japanese citizens alike for the abundance of temples, shrines and aura of "old world" Japanese charm. Really, the only other place like it in Japan is Kyoto; also noted for it's previous status as a historical capital city. As some of you know, Ericka and I used to live in Kyoto (pre-children life) and it is for this reason I believe that we are truly attracted to Kamakura.

Last Sunday we met an old friend (coincidentally a friend from Kyoto!) whom we haven't seen in 12 years. About 1 month ago I ran across his photo and email address in a professional English journal and I contacted him.

We boarded an old electric train in Fujisawa and gingerly rolled down the tracks towards the ocean. Despite the crowds, Miki and I really enjoyed the train ride. It is a slow-moving train and it passes just barely thru some very narrow streets and neighborhoods and at one point weaves out into the middle of the street much like a San Francisco trolley car. We clicked & clacked our way into numerous little villages along the way and at almost every curve and station stood an army of photographic train buffs trying to get that perfect shot. It quickly became obvious that this train and its route stand as the attraction for many people and I could see why. One long stretch of track parallels the ocean where hundreds of surfers flapped around in the waves (not very big ones, mind you, but nonetheless...)

We unloaded in Kamakura and took a leisurely back-street walk to the number one "must-see" sight: Daibutsu or "Great Buddha". With 2 children we knew our time was limited so we just opted for the no nonsense approach. We picked up a quick lunch and ate while strolling a pedestrian-only boulevard towards another famous temple/shrine complex. The weather was pleasant and the occasional sea breeze kept things cool.

I truly enjoyed this day-trip and I plan to return soon. As I mentioned, the nostalgia it brought back from our "younger" times in Japan made a big impression and I'm eager to explore more. Great photo opportunities, quaint traditional-style inns, good restaurants and plenty of history and culture to absorb.


2 comments:

NobuK said...

I spent the Oshugatsu in Kamakura with my falimy members this year. It'd be nice to join you next time you go there.

EMpty said...

Ok, I am in love with Kamakura! I had only heard about it in Japanese class before... now SEEING it! Looks like a great time was had by all! :)