Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bento Lunch Boxes






During our lunch break this afternoon I decided to sit with a class of 5th graders and take pictures of their lunch boxes, called "bento" in Japanese.  Some of them get quite elaborate, as I'm sure some of you know.  

The lunch in the last frame (above) is my lunch.  And no, Ericka nor I made this; I have the luxury of ordering from about a dozen different options every morning.  Just put a check next to your name, specify from which "restaurant" you want to eat and voi la!  By 11:45am the bento will be delivered to the school.  I say "restaurant" in quotes because the majority of these places only do take-out/delivery lunches.  No bento is the same from day to day.  The lunch above cost me about $6 Canadian and let me tell you, it's worth every yen, even if only for the convenience factor, to say nothing about the taste.  

Itadaki masu!  (let's eat!)

No comments: