Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hiatus




Sorry for the long absence.  I was away last week to Nanaimo with a group of 20 students from the 8th grade.  I know that doesn't explain the complete void of time, but trust me when I say we've been pretty busy.  

After 7 years being on the "receiving" end of the Canada Programs, it was eye-opening to be on the visitor side of these international excursions to Vancouver Island.  I quite enjoyed it, truth be told, and as I am 50% responsible for the program mission and stated goals and have heaps of experience with the itinerary, it was a comfortable routine to fall into.  Anyway, to make a long story short, due to the rising threat of H1N1 (swine-flu) days after landing in Canada, the administrative powers-that-be decided to cancel the remaining schedule and we were all ordered back to Tokyo.  So, at 3am last Saturday morning, I woke all 20 students up and we boarded a ferry at 5am bound for Vancouver.  By 12:45 we were on our flight and what seemed like an extremely short 7 hours later, landing in Tokyo.  All planes were required to sit on the tarmac while a hazmat crew boarded to check the condition of the passengers and the potential presence of swine influenza.  No problems.  By 7:30pm (Sunday now) I was walking into my apartment to be greeted by Miki, Mama & Sam.  Ahhh, a sight for sore eyes. 

I purchased an Apple MacBook Pro while in Canada and we love it.  Very sleek and user-friendly.  Those folks at Mac definitely do their homework.  

Anyway, here are some photos that I've been meaning to upload.  I put Miki on the back balcony one early morning to blow bubbles while I brewed some tea.  


1 comment:

flurina said...

the slippers Miki is wearing are natsukashii! so they still exist... ;-)