Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Free beer?!





Yes, really.  Allow me to explain...

Last Saturday, armed with 3 backpacks and 3 re-useable shopping bags, we ventured to the local supermarket to stock up on groceries and to get a few home necessities.  While Ericka stood in line to pay for the iron and ironing board, Miki, Sam and I decided to look for some lunch and get started on the grocery list.  

While descending on the escalator from the second floor I noticed a sales woman standing among the beer, wine & sake corner handing out cans of beer to customers.  Like any reasonable Papa on a hot, sunny, Saturday afternoon, I ambled over.  She happily thrust a can in my hand and I thanked her for the "Papa juice".  She was still laughing as the 3 of us continued our search for the bento lunch boxes.  

Over the course of that afternoon and picnic lunch I managed to get 4 beers.  Wow, let me tell you, it was one of the best times I've had in a Japanese grocery store!  

Oh yeah, we picked up a kickball for Miki that day.  Here are some shots of the park across the street and site of our (slightly intoxicated) picnic lunch.

No comments: