Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Bowl Couch Potato






In anticipation of Miki's grandparents, who will be arriving later this week to celebrate Miki's 2nd birthday with us, E and I used it as an excuse to attack some neglected cleaning chores. I even ripped all the cushions off the couch to get at the upholstery!

Sans cushions, Miki seized the moment to bounce around and flounder amongst them while we flipped the tv on just toward the start of the Super Bowl halftime show. Very shocking finish; my condolences, Dad. Anyway, just the sound of the game in the background brought back lots of old memories for me: grandparents, cousins and aunts and uncles either gathered at our place or one of my uncle's homes, eating shrimp cocktail and placing bets on each quarters' final score. I can vividly see that 12"x12" white cardboard scoresheet that my dad so devotedly graphed each season. In some ways, and for lots of American families I would guess, the Super Bowl gatherings are a stronger family tradition than Thanksgiving!

No comments: