Friday, November 30, 2007

In Nihon


I'm in Japan for another week visiting the main Tamagawa campus in Tokyo. All is well, however oddly enough even in this city of 20+ million, it can get lonely. I miss Miki & Mama and everyday wish they could be here too.

The weather here has been quite nice, compared to what's been falling on Vancouver Island - a constant back-and-forth between snow, rain or sleet, from what I hear. The fall colours here in Tokyo are still quite nice, beautiful actually. The temperature has been hovering in the low teens since I arrived and the sun is out today.

It's Saturday and I'm sitting in my hotel room, 10 floors up over Machida City. I ventured out this morning to find some breakfast and luckily happened upon a "fast food" Japanese-style restaurant that served a cheap ($5) traditional breakfast of rice, grilled salmon, miso soup, carrot & burdock root salad, seaweed and sweet-marinated pork strips. Exactly what I was looking for.

I've got a few shopping items to look for today and I may hop a train later to the town of Nakanoshima to see the recenlty re-built rock gym that Ericka and I were members of when we lived here. Later this evening I'm meeting an adult student I used to teach (7 years ago now!) at Tamagawa's Continuing Education Dept.

Well, I'm off. I need some tea and I may find a spot in the sun to plop down a puruse the newspaper and people watch. Until next time... "jya ne".

No comments: